Sometimes I really am a miracle worker. I have been working on one of those projects. The kind that has an unpleasant surprise around every turn, a frustrated client, and mounting expenses. It is the kind of thing that makes you not want to get out of bed in the morning, I’ll tell you. But get up I have, ready to stare every last setback down and attempting to find a way to thwart every situation threatening to turn this project into a complete disaster.
It has taken a lot of energy, I’ll tell you. I’ve got a deadline approaching. And while my goal is always to get everything done correctly and to the client’s satisfaction, two of the things my clients want most is for me to get the job done on time and on budget. I completely understand. When things aren’t done by the time they should be, it can push other projects back and that has an ugly domino effect with the rest of my clients that I would very much like to avoid. While I have been around long enough now that it has gotten easier and easier to correctly gauge how long something is going to take, occasionally things take turns that even I couldn’t guess.
That’s where I am with this particular project. It isn’t anyone’s fault, per se, which makes it difficult. I can’t fire anyone involved in the project in order to prove to my client that I am handling the situation, and there isn’t really one thing that can satisfactorily shoulder the blame. Things have just been happening. We knocked down a wall and found asbestos. We called in an electrician to move an outlet and found that the wiring wasn’t up to code and had to be upgraded in order to power everything safely. I was wracking my brain to figure out how I could get my team to continue what little work they could do while the electricians did their thing.
Then I had a brilliant idea. A generator! I found one on this web site that can safely be run indoors without using electricity. I had the team come in at night, which cost extra but then they aren’t under the electrician’s feet the whole time, and they were able to install some of the flooring that we needed put in as well as inspect the pipes for any more leaks since the walls were all open at that point. Doing the work this way cost me a bit more than I would have liked but it put us right back on schedule. Since I have one of those post-deadline clauses, in the long run, it should actually end up saving me money. And I’ll gladly pay my workers a good wage to do a good job if it means getting the job done on time and a happy client at the end of the project.
Thank goodness for thinking outside the box. I don’t know what I would have done otherwise!